Background and Benefits of Numerology
Numbers are the universal language. The mathematician, Galileo said, The book of Nature is written in numbers. Author Dan Brown brought popular awareness of the golden ratio in his book, The Da Vinci Code. This ratio is the key to everything from encrypting computer data, to the numbers of spirals forming on a sunflower, to our own limbs and explains why the Mona Lisa is so pleasing to the eye.
Numerology is the study of the relationship between names, numbers and birthdates. Numerology is derived from the word numerus, the Latin word for number, and the Greek word logos, meaning word and thought.
The Greek philosopher, Pythagoras, studied ancient cultures and learned about numerology, which researchers suggest was practiced in Egypt, over 13 000 years ago. He saw the universe as consisting of mathematical patterns and believed that everything can be expressed in numbers, which correspond to the energy patterns of vibrations.
Pythagoras’ teachings were embraced by subsequent great philosophers such as Socrates and Plato and later studied by scholars such as Augustine of Hippo. Augustine once remarked on how common it is for people to remain oblivious to how they are, saying:
“People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they pass by themselves without wondering.”
It is more than 1500 years since he spoke those words. Despite having access to more knowledge than ever before, our level of self-understanding is perhaps no greater than that of the ancient Greeks. B. F. Skinner would argue that it has actually declined:
“2500 years ago it might have been said that man understood himself as well as any other part of his world. Today he is the thing he understands least. Science has come a long way, but there has been no comparable development of anything like a science of human behaviour.”
While our move to a more technological and scientifically minded age has led to a host of benefits, it has also led to a much greater level of disconnection from our essential selves and at oneness with something bigger. As Alan Fletcher remarked, Life is not a technological ladder, it’s more of a cultural wheel. So, what we have gained in some respects we have lost in others.
A modern numerologist, Claudine Aegerter, speaks of the enlightenment that comes from understanding our numerological makeup:
“When we learn to meet them and to know them, we can start to see patterns and cycles, and make sense of where we have been, where we are and might yet be. Therefore we understand the impulse, the heartbeat of our own life. Numerology offers the possibility to remove ourselves from the sea of illusion and to walk the clear path up the mountain of self realisation.”
Some of the benefits of having your chart interpreted include:
- Making sense of the cycles and turning points you are navigating at the moment
- Helping you discover and understand your soul’s contract in this lifetime
- Assisting you in knowing and developing your innate strengths and giftings
- Highlighting your life’s blueprint and the different focuses that will be important to you at different times of your life
- Providing clarity around your life purpose and the key elements to finding fulfillment and happiness
- Guiding you in choosing a suitable career
- Knowing what particular niche you can carve out
- Illuminating your areas of challenge, warning you of the dead ends and frustrations that can be avoided
- Evaluating relationship compatibility
- Insights into the makeup of those close to you, leading to better relationships with your partner, children and parents
- Understand how others see you and what your blind spots are
- Finding balance between your conflicting drives in order to gain greater peace of mind
- Recognising the guiding influence behind life in order to flow with the process of life and know that a bigger picture exists in the midst of transient difficulties
Learn about how numerology can assist you in determing the compatibility of your relationship and how to better harmonise your partnership.